In addition to his active service to the legal community, Mr. Langley served the San Antonio community as Chairman of the Board of the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce and Chairman of the Board of the San Antonio Public Library System. He served on many Bond Study Groups for the City of San Antonio and he also served as a member of the San Antonio Charter Revision Commission. He was a charter member of the San Antonio Good Government League and was instrumental in the adoption of the Council-Manager form of government for San Antonio. Mr. Langley also served two terms as President of the Oak Hills Country Club. Since his graduation from the University of Texas School of Law in 1937, the only time that Mr. Langley did not practice law was during his service in World War II when served in the United States Army from 1941-1946. He rose from the rank of 2nd Lieutenant to Lt. Col. and received the Bronze Star for his service in the China Burma India Theater of Operations where he was Deputy Fiscal Director.
The lessons he taught were simple, but not easily forgotten. Mr. Langley espoused that hard work, preparation, and loyalty to the client were paramount virtues to be found in an effective and accomplished attorney. He taught that “zealous advocacy” was not antithetical to civility or professionalism. He desired all attorneys to be active participants in both the legal and the overall community in which they lived and practiced. Mr. Langley also recognized that a legal career did not justify a diminishment in meeting one’s obligations to family, church or fellow citizens. While it would be very difficult to equal Ralph Langley’s accomplishments, it certainly is a goal of Langley & Banack to emulate his efforts and examples.
Education: University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1937
Professional & Civic Associations
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- San Antonio Bar Association, President
- State Bar of Texas, Director and Founder of School Law Section
- Inns of Court, San Antonio Chapter, Master of the Bench