She regularly handles lawsuits and appeals involving employment law and discrimination law; state and federal constitutional issues; civil rights law; education law, including student discipline and student rights; child abuse law; and local government law, including issues relating to public information and open meetings laws. Ms. Brown’s particular areas of interest and expertise include the First Amendment; harassment law; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; 42 U.S.C. § 1983; the Family Medical Leave Act; Americans with Disabilities Act; legal issues pertaining to campus law enforcement; and trustee rights and responsibilities. She represents employers in grievance and termination hearings before the EEOC and other agencies.
In addition to her litigation and appellate practice, Ms. Brown assists clients with policy manual development, preparation and review of business contracts and employment contracts, and compliance with ethics and conflict of interest laws. She also regularly provides training on employment law and legal issues affecting students.
- J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 1989
- B.A., with honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas
Affiliations & Honors
- Texas Council of School Attorneys, Chair, 2006-2007
- State Bar of Texas School Law Section , Chair, 2002-2003
- National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys, Board of Directors, 2010-2014; Amicus Brief Committee, 2007-Present
- Texas “Super Lawyer,” Texas Monthly magazine, 2003 – 2015
- Houston Bar Association President’s Award for Outstanding Service, 199