Before he entered private practice, Joe held various positions with the Texas Association of School Boards. He served as Chairman of the School Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and Vice-Chairman of the TASB Council
of School Attorneys.
Joe has taught school law in the Departments of Educational Administration at the University of Texas and Baylor University. He has published numerous articles in the field of school law.
- University of Minnesota (Ph.D. in American Studies, 1971)
- University of Texas (Law degree, 1975)
- National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- Texas Association of School Boards Council of School Attorneys
- State Bar of Texas
- Co-author, The Educator’s Guide to Texas School Law, Second Edition