Ms. Horton has significant experience in representing school districts in all aspects of disputes involving the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. She works with districts to informally resolving disputes with parents of students with disabilities. She represents school districts in all aspects of the dispute resolution process, including representing districts in due process hearings in federal court in IDEA cases. Like all lawyers at Thompson & Horton LLP, Ms. Horton works with schools to analyze problems and develop strategies to resolve issues so they do not result in costly lawsuits.
When litigation occurs, Ms. Horton represents schools in state and federal court, in special education due process hearings, and before the Texas Education Agency. She also represents schools in appellate matters in state and federal court. At the state and federal level, Ms. Horton advises lawmakers of the concerns of public school clients regarding legislative matters, especially those dealing with special education.
Ms. Horton is a founding partner of Thompson & Horton LLP. Previously Ms. Horton was an attorney at Bracewell & Giuliani LLP for 28 years, a partner in the Public Law Section for 21 years, and head of the Section for a number of years. A long-time member of many school law profession organizations, Ms. Horton is past chair of the School Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and a past member of the Board of Directors of both the Council of School Attorneys of the National School Boards Association, and the Education Law Association. She is the past chair of the Texas Association of School Boards Council of School Attorneys. A graduate of the University of Texas and the University of Texas School of Law, Ms. Horton has been named a Texas Monthly Super Lawyer. Ms. Horton is a frequent speaker on school law issues at both the state and national level.
- Labor & Employment
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1980
- B.A., with honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1975
- Texas Association of School Boards, Legal Assistance Fund Board of Trustees, 1998-2000
- Texas Association of School Boards Council of School Attorneys; Chair, 1999-2000
- State Bar of Texas, School Law Section; Chair, 1988-1989
- National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys; Executive Committee, 2000 – 2002
- Education Law Association, Board of Directors, 1989-1992
- Texas “Super Lawyer,” Texas Monthly magazine, 2004-2013
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Association
- Spring Branch Education Foundation Board
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Speakers Committee
- Altharetta Yeargin Art Museum Advisory Board